Saturday, March 24, 2012

Upgraded Knives


Since it was raining today, my family and I decided to spend our Saturday at the mall. We went to Valley Fair to walk around and of course I had to stop by one of my favorite shops, Williams-Sonoma! I was browsing their specialty herbs section when my husband asked me to come over to check out the knives. They had a demo area with cutting board and vegetables. I have never used high-end knives before and was curious how they cut compared to my Zwilling J.A. Henckels set my husband bought years ago. I decided to give them a try and instantly fell in love. I compared a Wustof Classic to a Shun Classic and preferred the Shun because the handle felt better and blade seems sharper. But after talking to the salesperson, he noted that the Shuns are sharper because of the damascus steel (created by bonding thin layers of high carbon steel) but may not be as durable as the Wustof's single cast steel. In the end, I did an impulse purchase on a set of Wustof Classics to replace my trusty Henckels. If you love cooking like me, you need to try one of these knives. I didn't know what I was missing out on all my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment